Search This Blog

Mojito

I recently learned how to make a real Mojito, the Cuban way. I had heard so much about that I figured that it would make an excellent addition to my personal exploration of Latin culture.

I must admit that this is now my favourite drink. It is very refreshing but you must be careful as they do have a way of sneaking up on you. Here is my secret. Use really fresh ingredients and good rum not the cheep bar stuff but the good stuff. Okey here it is..

Mojito Recipe

Powdered sugar to taste 1-2 teaspoons. I prefer to use raw, Fair Trade, cane sugar it does give the drink a darker colour but I think it tastes better
Juice from 1 lime (2 ounces) Again use as much or as little as you like. One lime can make two drinks in my opinion other wise it is too tart and it over powers the mint.
about 6 mint leaves I actually like mine with more mint, I like some colour in the glass. The more the better as far as I'm concerned
Light Rum Use the good stuff. The older the better. (2 ounces)
Top with club soda
1 sprig of mint for garnish.

Place the mint leaves into a long mojito glass (often called a "collins" glass) and squeeze the juice from a cut lime over it. You'll want about one to two ounces of lime juice. Add the powdered sugar, then gently smash the mint into the lime juice and sugar with a muddler or pestle . Add ice (preferably crushed) then add the rum and stir, and top off with the club soda. Garnish with a mint sprig. 

That is the traditional Cuban recipe but I like to take some of the lime cut into small wedges and add it to the glass before using the muddler. Another variation is to add Angostura bitters to tone down the mojito's sweetness. I personally haven't tried it with the bitters. I do recommend what some Cubans use; "Guarapo" in place of the powdered sugar, which is a sugar cane syrup or you can use raw cane sugar.

Featured Post

Hainanese Chicken Leg

Combine all the ingredients in your rice cooker, switch it on, and let it do the work. Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice is super delicious...